Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dilemma

Friends, I'm seriously considering dumping the blog. I thought it would be a good way to journal my life since I'm not the best at writing in my real journal. I go a few months in between writing in my journal and then write a ten page summary that wears me out. I'm a pretty speedy typist so I thought blogging would be easier than writing.

BUT here's my confession: I feel like I'm in Mrs. Wenzel's 12th grade AP English class all over again. I write, then rewrite, then rewrite again trying to make it sound just right because I know someone is going to be reading it. If it were just me reading it, I wouldn't worry so much.

Already I have revised these two paragraphs 10x.

And then there's the question of WHAT to blog about. Do you really want to know how our Anniversary cruise went? Or will it just make you bugged when I write about our wonderfully relaxing time alone from our kids for a week?

Do you want to hear all my gripes and complaints because WE'RE MOVING?! I know, I should have posted this one long ago. Here's the skinny: we bought a lot in Santa Clara, put our house on the market, got an offer a month later, we'll move out after Christmas. To where, we don't know since our house won't begin construction until after this one closes. Anyone know of a good rental??

Do you really want to see how cute my kids were this Halloween? Or to see my "Baby" Dallin's 3rd birthday party? Yeah, you probably do but I'm not in the mood to post about it all. Especially not at this late hour.

All this being said, I do admit that I LOVE to read other people's blogs. I really do. I love what all of you have to say. And you probably don't have to revise it a hundred times before you hit the "publish" button.

I'm not sure what the answer is to my little dilemma. Any thoughts?

And just in case you really DO want to see what's been going on in our lives, enjoy this little slideshow:

10 comments:

Liz said...

I have been feeling the EXACT same way! Hence, the lack of posts! I'm still trying to decide what is best. I DO love reading about anything and everything going on in your lives, but I know what you're saying. Having an audience, what pictures to post, how to word things....good luck with your decision! We loved seeing you guys for a little bit this weekend! Thanks for supporting me in my silly races! Love you!

Steph said...

Here's what I have decided about blogging. It is definitely a roller coaster and a continual work in progress. I have been at it for two years now and I gotta say, my reasoning for doing it has changed multiple times. I am to the point now where it is something I do for ME. I really don't care if anyone reads it or what they think of it. I feel better when I get my thoughts down (better if I'm timely about it) and so I just make the time. Even if it is a long winded, monthly re-cap post, I am just glad I said something. It makes me feel better since I have ZERO time to keep up on scrapbooks. I figure, since you can print out a blog into a really nice book, there's my family history in yearly installments! So, my advice, if YOU feel better after keeping up on the blog, do it! If it is just stressful, bag it. Once I went private and knew who my audience was (people that might actually enjoy the stories and not just be tuning in to critique) that helped too. Good luck. I hope you keep it! And, your slide show brought back fond memories of the cruise Steve and I took a couple years ago:)

Steph said...

P.S. There are a TON of rentals in our ward boundaries. . .just sayin'!

Kerri said...

I know Liz has been trying to decide about this same thing, but I think it's so much fun to see what both of you are doing! We've been asked to fill the internet with good to try to combat the bad, and so for now I'm going to stick with it. I go back and forth, though. I don't want it to take up more time than it's worth.

Diane said...

I'm so bummed. I wrote a comment first thing this morning and it didn't post. Basically I advised you to not give up on blogging for your sister who is far away and enjoys being a part of your family, even hundreds of miles away. I quoted Pooh Pa, "Don't GO, Don't Go, Don't GO"

It doesn't need to be perfect, certainly mine's far from that. I enjoy your posts and I loved your recent pictures. You look great, by the way.

That's my two cents.

Kristina said...

All I have to say is "I don't care cuz Karin's living 3 minutes away from me!!!!" Eat your heart out blogging world! Way to take the plunge Karin and more over to the right side of the tracks...j/k I'm actually gonna miss your old place. But I'm soo excited to have you guys closer. Lylas!

Corbett Family said...

I write my blog for me (and the grandparents who live far away), so I don't really obsess about my writing. It is usually pretty lame, but I don't care what people think. I enjoy your posts and haven't noticed that they aren't Wenzelesque. :)

Shannon said...

Yes, please keep blogging! I love reading all my cousins blogs since we never see each other. Good luck with the move!

Rebecca said...

Yes I really want to know how your Anniversary cruise went, yes I want to hear all your gripes and complaints about your moving, yes I really want to see how cute my neices and nephes were this Halloween, and yes I want to see photos of Dallin's 3rd birthday party!! I don't hear/see about these things ANY other way so it has been fun for me! As far as journaling (or blogging for that matter) I gave up on recapping the events years ago and only write in my journal when something of importance happens that I want to remember, or when I have learned something worthwhile. Sometimes I end up writting once a month, sometimes once every 4 months. It made journal writting a lot less stressful, more fun, and the entries are more worthwhile to read. The ONLY one that cares about how everything is worded is YOU! I think the best blogs to read are the ones that aren't polished to perfection, because your true personality shines through when it is just a rough draft. We can't wait to see you!!

Whitney :) said...

I'll keep up the blog for you mom!!