Thursday, March 4, 2010

Progress

This is one of those times that I wish I had just done a private blog, only to be seen by me. I have so much I want to express, but I am very concerned about how it will sound. I'm talking about building our new house in Santa Clara. I want to document this exciting time, but I in no way want to sound boastful. So please, if you choose to continue reading, know that my intent is to record history for my family.

The funny thing is, in the world's terms, I don't even have much to boast about. This is not a Parade of Homes house we're building. It will be about 2500 sq ft, much smaller than most larger family homes. And apparently, with 5 kids, we are now considered a large family. The master bathroom will not have a jetted tub (gasp!) or even double sinks (double gasp!!). Our kids will all still be sharing rooms. But to us, it will be the house of OUR dreams, and we are so extremely grateful to even have this opportunity.

After a slow start, the entire house was framed in less than a week! I've never been so amazed. To walk through the actual rooms, after staring at them on paper for months, was absolutely thrilling. And as of yesterday, the plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling, were all being installed.

The scariest part has been making decisions on demand when we hadn't even thought about such things before. Door hinge colors, outlet placement, light fixture placement, direction of swinging doors... the list continues. And we are only just starting the process. Luckily, we are loving our builder (Kevin Lee) and he has been so good to work with.

So here are some pictures of the progress that has been made so far. Forgive me as I continue to document as the weeks roll on. We have never built a house before so this is such an exciting time for our family. And YES, our kids are actually excited now to move into it. That's a miracle in and of itself.

The empty lot
Foundation poured
First level framed
Second level framed
The kids see it framed for the first time

View from "Adam's" balcony

I won't be able to tear him away from these views. These picture don't do it justice.


6 comments:

Liz said...

WOW!!!! I am so excited for you and love seeing the progress!!! Keep posting pictures! I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves seeing your home!!! I got teary eyed because I'm so excited for you guys!!!!

Diane said...

I've been wondering about the progress and WOW, that's amazing how fast that went up. What a fun stage to be in. As long as they keep up the pace, it will be so exciting to go see what's new. You will love to look back at this adventure, so take lots of pictures and make sure you share. I bet the kids love walking around and seeing what their rooms will look like. I am very happy for your family.

Rebecca said...

Yeah! I am excited for you guys. It makes me tired just thinking about all the work but it will be worth it and you will NEVER have to move again! Yippee!!!!!!! Thanks for the pictures, we have been wondering how it is going. (doesn't sound boastful at all, it is a big deal for your family). Good luck as the building continues :)

Jeanette Millward said...

Really exciting! Keep posting the updates. We want to see it all... from vacant lot to the interior decorating!

Steph said...

You are soooo good at NOT sounding boastful! All who know you and your sweet family know that boastful isn't even a word that could be in the same sentence! You guys are awesome and this house is going to be GREAT! I am so happy for you! I can't wait to see more posts:) EXCITING!!!!

Renee said...

You are not boastful! We built our first home (just in time to leave it to move to St. George..ugh) and it is such an exciting time. It is fun for us blog followers to see your progress as well! Keep it coming! Hayden is so excited to see Justin _ we will be there for our spring break (April 6-12), so I will get ahold of you as it gets closer so they can meet up!! Renee